Our Roots - in 1896 - the first 30 years
Posted on 02/06/2012 at 12:00 am by EC Moran Insurance Company
Viewed 4,844 times
Patrick Moran 1833-1904, came to America from Ireland, settling in Thomaston, Maine. He was a tailor by trade, and his son Edward Carl Moran worked alongside him for some years. In 1896, Edward Moran decided to open up an insurance agency, in the back room of the P. Moran & Co tailor shop at 306 Main Street. He walked daily to and from Beechwood Street in Thomaston for most of his years at the business. He was a very sociable person, and would stand on the doorstep and greet everyone when he had a minute. He was also Postmaster of Rockland, Maine for many years.
In 1926, E. C. Moran purchased the center of the Kimball Block building where it currently resides. Along with a growing list of clients, Ed added the Fitchburg Mutual Fire Insurance Company to the Moran roster, which the agency has represented since 1914, now under the name of Norfolk & Dedham Insurance Company, nearing 100 years of agency appointment. His son Edward Carl Moran Jr joined him in 1919, to work at the agency through 68 years. In about 1920 and 1923 he hired two sisters, Dorothy Blackington Baxter, and Audrey Teel, to work in the agency 60 and 57 years. In 1926, 425 Main Street was purchased in the Kimball Block where the agency is now located.